HSH Celebrates Women’s Equality Day
August 26, 2021
Since 1973, the United States has celebrated Women’s Equality Day on August 26 in honor of the adoption of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave citizens the right to vote regardless of gender. It also recognizes the women continuing to fight towards full equality. Women’s Equality Day allows us to reflect on the continuing struggle for equality, particularly in the workplace. As of 2021, the average woman’s earnings are around 80% of the average man’s.
- Women’s Equality Day: https://www.doi.gov/pmb/eeo/womens-equality-day
- A 2021 comparison of the median salary between men and women reports that women earn 82 cents for every dollar men make: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomspiggle/2021/05/25/the-gender-pay-gap-why-its-still-here/?sh=38cdd8397baf
- The pay gap for Black women is 63 cents on the dollar: https://fortune.com/2021/08/03/black-women-equal-pay-day-2021-wage-gap-gender-race/
- A recent report from the United Nations found that women do 2.6 times the amount of unpaid work that men do: https://money.cnn.com/2018/02/21/pf/women-unpaid-work/index.html
- Eight powerful ways to celebrate: https://blog.vantagecircle.com/womens-equality-day/
- Seven Tips for Men who want to support Equality: https://leanin.org/tips/mvp#!
Leave a Comment