Did you know there is funding to help save businesses during the winter months? HSH can help!
January 27, 2021
MassDOT Announces Funding Program to Help Cities and Towns Create Shared Winter Streets and Spaces.
MassDOT, in partnership with the Barr Foundation, is announcing Shared Winter Streets and Spaces Program, a funding program to provide technical and implementation assistance to help Massachusetts cities and towns conceive, design, and execute shared streets and spaces projects that respond to residents’ and businesses’ immediate needs.
Types of Eligible Projects
- Main Streets:Investments in local downtowns and villages that repurpose streets, plazas, sidewalks, curbs, and parking areas to facilitate outdoor activities and winter programming, including, but not limited to, facilities for eating, shopping, play, and community events and spaces for all ages. Grant limit: up to $300,000.
- Reimagined Streets:Creation of safe spaces for people walking and bicycling by implementing low-speed streets, ‘shared streets,’ new sidewalks, new protected bike lanes, new off-road trails, new bicycle parking, new crosswalks, new traffic-calming measures, and new ADA-compliant ramps. Grant limit: up to $300,000.
- Better Buses:Establishment of new facilities for public buses, including, but not limited to, dedicated bus lanes, traffic-signal priority equipment, and bus shelters. Grant limit: up to $500,000.
- Shared Mobility:Support for the capital costs of equipment for new bikeshare and micromobility programs. Grant limit: up to $200,000.
- Making Pilots Permanent: Conversion of temporary Shared Streets and Spaces projects to permanent facilities. Grant limit: up to $300,000.
For more information about the Shared Winter Streets and Spaces funding: